Winner Pride in Thanet Tourism Award 'Team of the Year' 2015
Turner Contemporary is the South East's major art gallery, presenting contemporary and historical art in a stunning seaside setting. Inspired by Britain's best-loved painter JMW Turner, the gallery offers a space for everyone to discover different ways of seeing, thinking and learning.
Situated on Margate seafront, on the same site where Turner stayed when visiting the town, Turner Contemporary presents a rolling programme of temporary exhibitions, events and learning opportunities which make intriguing links between art from 1750 to the present day. At least one Turner work is on show at all times, whether a sketchbook study or dedicated exhibition.
Admission to the gallery is free and we also offer a cafe and shop for visitors to enjoy.
Discover more about JMW Turner's connections with Margate and see some of the locations associated with the artist through the Magical Margate Walk
2017/18 Exhibitions Programme
• Entangled: Threads and Making 28 January – 7 May
• Shape Adam Reynolds Memorial Bursary 7 February – 30 April
• Phyllida Barlow: Artist Rooms and Michael Armitage: New and recent paintings 27 May – 17 September
• Jean Arp: The Poetry of Forms 7 October – 14 January 2018
• Tracey Emin, My Bed and JMW Turner, Petworth 7 October – 14 January 2018
• John Davies 14 November – February 2018
Autumn/Winter 10am-5pm and Spring/Summer 10am-6pm
Open Tuesday - Sunday and Bank Holidays
Closed Mondays except Bank Holidays
Gallery Closed: Saturday 24, Sunday 25 and Monday 26 December
Gallery Open: Tuesday 27, Wednesday 28- Friday 30 December, Saturday 31 December (close at 4pm), Sunday 1 and Monday 2 January