Viking Coastal Trail
One of the most attractive circular leisure cycle routes in Kent, covering 32 miles (51.4km), taking in the coast of Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate before heading inland through the surrounding villages.
Offering family friendly cycling on level, traffic free promenades and broad sea walls, or along leisurely country lanes.
Divide the trail up into the manageable sections and you’ll find a variety of fantastic days out. The route passes an array of popular attractions: the Viking Ship 'Hugin' at Pegwell Bay, Ramsgate Maritime Museum, Dickens House in Broadstairs, Turner Contemporary at Margate and St Augustine's Cross marking the site where the first Mass is reported to have been held in 597AD.
Along the route there are plenty of places to stop for a rest to enjoy a drink or meal. If you aer in Ramsgate look out for information on Active Ramsgate
The route is also known as the Regional Cycle Network 15 and well signed throughout with the trail logo
- BikeShed - 71 Canterbury Road, Margate, CT9 5AS Tel: 01843 228866
- Ken’s Bike Shop - 28 Eaton Road, Margate, CT9 1XA Tel: 01843 221422 www.kensbikes.co.uk
- Viking Coastal Trail Cycle Hire - The Parade, Minnis Bay, Birchington, CT7 9QR Tel: 07772 037609 www.vctbikehire.co.uk
- Motiv8 Sport Bike Hire, Margate Main Sands, Marine Drive, CT9 1XJ (Easter - September) Tel: 0333 772 0162 www.motiv8zone.co.uk
- Ride - The Old Kent Market, 8 Fort Hill, Margate Tel: 07775 609245 www.ridethanet.co.uk