Experience Turner's Margate
Discover more about the artist's connections with the town
Discover Mr Turner’s Margate in a itinerary inspired by Mike Leigh’s film and the artist’s love of the town. (Image: Mr Turner film still. Courtesy of Entertainment One)
From a visit to see works by the artist at Turner Contemporary, the site where JMW Turner frequently stayed at Mrs Booth’s residence, to enjoying Margate’s breath-taking sunsets, an inspiration for Turner and what he quoted as “the loveliest skies in all Europe”.
JMW Turner’s Margate tour
• Take Southeastern’s 90 minute High Speed 1 train from St Pancras International to Margate (prices subject to change).
• Enjoy lunch, dinner or a drink at the variety of Margate’s cafes, restaurants or bars, some offering seafront views, to experience a unique sunset
• Visit Turner Contemporary to see their latest exhibition, which always features a paint or element of Turner’s work
JMW Turner: Adventures in Colour
(8 October 2016 - 8 January 2017) - with over 100 paintings, drawings and engravings this exhibition charts the impact of Turner's experimental techniques (Image JMW Turner, Vermilion Towers, c.1834, Gouache and watercolour on paper © Tate, London 2015)
• Take afternoon tea
• Stay at one of Margate’s hotels, guest houses or if you want to stay longer rent a self-catering property
• Turner produced more than 30,000 works in his lifetime, over 100 of which can be traced to his time in Margate and Thanet.Take the coastal walk from Margate to Broadstairs through Botany Bay, taking in the unique quality of the light and identifying location spots and landmarks from Turner’s various paintings (Free).
This is a self-guided tour of Turner's Margate, as suggested by Turner Contemporary to coincide with the release of Mr Turner.