Respect, Protect and Enjoy our Coastline
If you visit our beaches and bays, please respect our coastline & other people leaving only footprints in the sand
Here’s some information to help you if you are considering a visit to Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate:
The following coastal public toilets are open (From Monday 29th March) with safety measures in place for users. The toilets will be cleaned regularly throughout the day and will be closed while cleaning takes place.
- Minnis Bay, Birchington
- West Bay and St Mildred's Bay, Westgate-on-Sea
- Margate - Westbrook Bay, Margate Main Sands (train station end), Portaloos (Clocktower end) and Margate Harbour Arm
- Broadstairs - Botany Bay, Joss Bay, Stone Bay, Harbour Street, Viking Bay (Chalets), Bandstand and Dumpton Gap
- Ramsgate - The Bathing Station (Marina Esplanade) and Pier Yard (By Wetherspoons)
For up to date details on opening, please click here
There will be RNLI lifeguard cover at the following beaches from 10am - 6pm
- From Saturday 29th May - Sunday 5th September 7 days a week cover at Margate Main Sands, Botany Bay, Joss Bay and Viking Bay, Broadstairs.
- From Saturday 29th May - Thursday 8th July Weekends and Bank Holidays cover at Minnis Bay, West Bay, St Mildred's Bay, Westbrook Bay, Stone Bay and Ramsgate Main Sands
- From Friday 9th July - 5th September 7 day a week cover across Minnis Bay, West Bay, St Mildred's Bay, Westbrook Bay, Margate Main Sands, Botany Bay, Joss Bay, Stone Bay, Viking Bay and Ramsgate Main Sands
- During September Weekends only at Minnis Bay, Margate Main Sands, Botany Bay and Joss Bay
Please be aware the lift at Viking Bay, Broadstairs is open daily 10am-6pm whilst Ramsgate Main Sands lift is closed for 2021.
Beach Within Reach
Discover wheelchair-accessible bays via the Beach Within Reach charity (Minnis Bay and Viking Bay only 2021).
All our beaches and bays are beautiful and we are proud of them, please help us to keep them that way. Take your litter away with you or put it in the bins provided. If the bins are full, please find another bin, or take your litter home with you.
If you can, please travel on foot, by bike, or by public transport. If you do use one of our public car parks, you will be advised to make payment over the phone/internet using RingGo. Car park locations can be found here
Please respect our local communities by parking sensibly in designated car parks or parking areas, keeping plenty of access for local residents and emergency vehicles
Parking at Botany Bay
Please park at Palm Bay Avenue (CT9 3PP) to access Palm Bay beach, a short cliff top walk to Botany Bay. Respect our local communities by parking sensibly in designated car parks or parking areas, keeping plenty of access for local residents and emergency vehicles.
FREE CAR PARKING available every Saturday: Mill Lane - Margate, Harold Road - Cliftonville, St Peter's Park Road - Broadstairs, and Cannon Road- Ramsgate
Beach Check UK App
We want you to have the best experience when visiting our beautiful beaches so we have created a live map which allows you to see how busy they are using a traffic light system before you pick your spot.
If you are a regular beach goer, download the Beach Check App to have the information to hand
The Thanet Coast is a valued open space, generally used by many people for recreational activities and is highly valued for its plants, animals and birds. Please help by following these simple codes to help local wildlife and show respect for other beach users.
- Respect our coastal wildlife – try to leave everything as you find it, or would like to find it
- Consider our coastline and other users – take your rubbish home, report hazards; and respect the rights of other users, adhering to Government social distancing guidelines
- Stay Safe – be careful on slippery rocks, of the incoming tide, and follow bay safety signs
- Be Environmentally-Friendly – buy postcards or take photos of marine creatures, instead of taking marine souvenirs home with you
We ask that the beach byelaws are abided by, please click here to read these
To support you we have created a series of activity sheets for you to create your own masterpiece, providing a virtual tour of Thanet and brought together what our attractions are doing