Respect, Protect and Enjoy our Coastline
If you visit our beaches and bays, please adhere to the latest Government guidelines for social distancing and stay safe. Please be aware that not all beach facilities are available including lifeguard provision, first aid and lost child facilities. Please respect our coastline and other people and leave only your footprints in the sand.
To help with planning your visit please check our 'Know Before You Go' section for the latest update on business reopening
Here’s some information to help you if you are considering a visit to Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate
The following coastal public toilets are currently open daily from 8.30-9.30am to between 5-7pm with safety measures in place for users.
- Minnis Bay, Birchington
- West Bay and St Mildred's Bay, Westgate-on-Sea
- Westbrook Bay, Margate
- Margate - Margate Main Sands train station end, Portakabin (Clock Tower) and Harbour Arm
- Botany Bay, Joss Bay, Stone Bay and Dumpton Gap, Broadstairs
- Broadstairs - Harbour Street Viking Bay, Viking Bay (chalet block) and Clock Tower (including bandstand)
- Ramsgate - Ramsgate Main Sands near Wetherspoons
The toilets will be cleaned regularly throughout the day and will be closed while cleaning takes place.
For up to date details on opening, please click here
There will be RNLI lifeguard cover at the following beaches 7 days a week from 10am - 6pm
- Viking Bay Broadstairs Saturday 30th May - Sunday 6th September
- Botany Bay and Joss Bay Broadstairs Saturday 13th June - Sunday 6th September
- Margate Main Sands Saturday 20th June - Sunday 6th September
- Minnis Bay Birchington, Stone Bay Broadstairs and Ramsgate Main Sands Saturday 4th July - Sunday 6th September
Please be aware the lifts at Viking Bay, Broadstairs and Ramsgate are closed until further notice
All our beaches and bays are beautiful and we are proud of them, please help us to keep them that way. Take your litter away with you or put it in the bins provided. If the bins are full, please take your litter home with you to dispose of.
If you are required to use one of our public car parks you are advised to make payment over the phone/internet using RingGo. Car park locations can be found here
Respect our local communities if you are visiting our beaches by parking sensibly in designated car parks or parking areas, being aware of local residents and emergency vehicles. If you can, please travel by foot or bike. Parking is advised at Palm Bay Avenue (CT9 3PP) for Palm Bay beach and a short cliff top walk to Botany Bay.
FREE CAR PARKING available every Saturday: Mill Lane - Margate, Harold Road - Cliftonville, St Peter's Park Road - Broadstairs and Cannon Road- Ramsgate
The Thanet Coast is a valued open space, generally used by many people for recreational activities and is highly valued for its plants, animals and birds. Please help by following these simple voluntary codes to help local wildlife and show respect for other beach users.
- Respect our coastal wildlife – try to leave everything as you find it, or would like to find it
- Consider our coastline and other users – take your rubbish home, report hazards; and respect the rights of other users, adhering to Government social distancing guidelines
- Stay safe – be careful on slippery rocks, of the incoming tide, and follow bay safety signs
- Be Environmentally friendly – buy postcards or take photos of marine creatures, instead of taking marine curious
You will also need to abide by the beach byelaws, please click here to read these
In these difficult times it can be hard to keep everyone entertained be it the children or yourself. To support you we have created a series of activity sheets for you to create your own masterpiece, providing a virtual tour of Thanet and brought together what our attractions are doing