Respect, Protect and Enjoy our Coastline
If you visit our beaches and bays, please adhere to the Government guidelines for social distancing and stay safe. Please be aware that many facilities are not available including lifeguard provision, first aid and lost child facilities. Please respect our coastline and other people and leave only your footprints in the sand.
Here’s some information to help you if you are considering a visit to Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate
The following coastal public toilets are currently open daily 10am-5pm with safety measures in place for users.
- Margate (Margate Main Sands train station end),
- Broadstairs (Harbour Street Viking Bay and Joss Bay)
- Ramsgate (Ramsgate Main Sands near Wetherspoons)
From Saturday 30th May, the following facilities will be open daily 10am-5pm
- Minnis Bay, Birchington
- West Bay and St Mildred's Bay, Westgate-on-Sea
- Westbrook Bay, Margate
- Botany Bay, Stone Bay and Dumpton Gap, Broadstairs
The toilets will be cleaned regularly throughout the day and will be closed while cleaning takes place.
For up to date details on opening, please click here
There will be RNLI lifeguard cover on Viking Bay, Broadstairs from Saturday 30th May and on Margate Main Sands from Saturday 20th June. This will be 7 days a week from 10am to 6pm at both beaches
Thanet District Council is liaising with the RNLI on what level of service can be provided elsewhere but as things stand currently there will be no cover at the other beaches.
All our beaches and bays are beautiful and we are proud of them, please help us to keep them that way. Take your litter away with you or put it in the bins provided. If the bins are full, please take your litter home with you to dispose of.
If you are required to use one of our public car parks you are advised to make payment over the phone/internet using RingGo. Car park locations can be found here
Respect our local communities if you are visiting our beaches by parking sensibly in designated car parks or parking areas, being aware of local residents and emergency vehicles. If you can, please travel by foot or bike. Parking is advised at Palm Bay Avenue (CT9 3PP) for Palm Bay beach and a short cliff top walk to Botany Bay.
The Thanet Coast is a valued open space, generally used by many people for recreational activities and is highly valued for its plants, animals and birds. Please help by following these simple voluntary codes to help local wildlife and show respect for other beach users.
- Respect our coastal wildlife – try to leave everything as you find it, or would like to find it
- Consider our coastline and other users – take your rubbish home, report hazards; and respect the rights of other users, adhering to Government social distancing guidelines
- Stay safe – be careful on slippery rocks, of the incoming tide, and follow bay safety signs
- Be Environmentally friendly – buy postcards or take photos of marine creatures, instead of taking marine curious
In these difficult times it can be hard to keep everyone entertained be it the children or yourself. To support you we have created a series of activity sheets for you to create your own masterpiece, providing a virtual tour of Thanet and brought together what our attractions are doing