Viking Coastal Trail
One of the most attractive circular leisure cycle routes in Kent, covering 32 miles (51.4km), taking in the coast of Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate before heading inland through the surrounding villages.
Offering family friendly cycling on level, traffic free promenades and broad sea walls, or along leisurely country lanes.
Divide the trail up into manageable sections and you’ll find a variety of fantastic days out. The route passes an array of popular attractions: the Viking Ship 'Hugin' at Pegwell Bay, Ramsgate Maritime Museum, Dickens House in Broadstairs, Turner Contemporary at Margate and St Augustine's Cross marking the site where the first Mass is reported to have been held in 597AD.
Along the route there are plenty of places to stop for a rest to enjoy a drink or meal. If you are in Ramsgate look out for information on Active Ramsgate
The route is also known as Regional Cycle Network 15 and well signed throughout with the trail logo
- Ride...The BikeShed -71 Canterbury Road, Margate, CT9 5AS and Margate Train Station Tel: 01843 228866 www.thebikeshedkent.co.uk
- Viking Coastal Trail Cycle Hire - The Parade, Minnis Bay, Birchington, CT7 9QR Tel: 07772 037609 www.vctbikehire.co.uk
- Harbour Bikes - Arch 20 Military Road, Ramsgate Royal Harbour CT11 9LG Tel: 07834 377907 www.harbourbikes.co.uk
- Margate Bikes Hire - 87a Canterbury Road, Margate CT9 5AX Tel: 07756 041452 www.margatebikesandhire.co.uk
- Pav's Garden Cafe - St Mildred's Bay, Westgate-on-Sea CT8 8TP 01843 831851