Cycling at the Coast
Get out and explore in Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate when Thanet's big skies beckon you to hop on your bike.
See stunning sunsets and a gorgeous shoreline on a superb trail which offers year-round, al fresco exploration and fun.
Don't-miss the 32-mile (51.4km) Viking Coastal Trail cycling and walking route circling the Isle, past chalk cliffs and along quiet lanes, taking in the Turner Contemporary, Pugin's Grange, Minster Abbey, and the coast path from Pegwell Bay along the way. The Viking Coastal Trail is one of the most attractive circular leisure cycle routes in Kent
Passing 16 beaches and bays before heading inland through pretty rural villages, including St. Nicholas-at-Wade, Monkton and Minster, with plenty of lovely pit-stops, you won’t be disappointed with the views along the way.
Challenge yourself to complete the whole route, or break it down into smaller chunks with plenty of places for refuelling breaks - the choice is yours. The family-friendly cycling route takes you on level, traffic-free promenades and broad sea walls, or along leisurely country lanes.
Discover 7 Naturally Socially Distanced Viking Coastal Trail Doorstep Adventures with our blog about the Viking Coastal Trail
Fancy a guided tour of the Viking Coastal Trail connecting with neighbouring towns? Join Col's Kent Bike Tours to discover more (see video below) or extend your ride from Ramsgate to connect with neighbouring Sandwich and Deal, along the new Pier to Pier Cycling Trail
- Ride - The Bike Shed: 71 Canterbury Road, CT9 5AS, or Margate Train Station, CT9 5AD, 01843 228866 www.thebikeshedkent.co.uk
- Ken's Bikes: 26 Eaton Road, CT9 1XA, 01843 221422, www.kensbikes.co.uk
- Margate Bikes & Hire: 87a Canterbury Road, Westbrook, CT9 5AX, 07756 041452, www.margatebikesandhire.co.uk
- Harbour Bikes: Arch 20, Military Road, CT11 9LG, 01843 585060, www.harbourbikes.co.uk
- VCT Bike Hire: The Parade, Minnis Bay, CT7 9QP, 01843 843309/07818 828862, vctbikes-honeyzbeachbar.co.uk
- Wheelability: Fully accessible bikes for disabled and non-disabled people. Minnis Bay Car Park, The Parade, Minnis Bay, CT7 9QP, 0333 366 0834 http://yourleisure.uk.com/wheelability/
*At any time of year between the hours of sunrise and sunset, and from 1 May to 30 September inclusive between the hours of 10am and 6pm, a person shall not ride any cycle on any of the promenades where localised signage requires you to dismount. You must adhere to the signs which vary around the coast. This is for the purposes of health and safety and the enjoyment of others in busy areas*
Below video from Col's Kent Bike Tours