Getting around our coast is easy...
All rail stations in Thanet are served by the same line, making train travel between each place simple and quick. The three towns - Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate - each have their own rail station, as do Minster, Birchington, Westgate and Dumpton.
Train lines also continue to Sandwich, Deal, Dover and Folkestone along the South Kent coast, as well as to Herne Bay and Whitstable along the North coast. Direct trains also link Thanet with Canterbury, Ashford, and some mainline London stations (Victoria, Waterloo East, and Charing Cross.) Thanet also boasts a frequent High Speed direct rail service to London St Pancras and the International Eurostar terminus.
Thanet has a comprehensive network of bus routes connecting Margate, Broadstairs, Ramsgate, and the villages, allowing you to make the most of your visit while remaining car-free.
Most of these are operated by Stagecoach, who offer a ‘Dayrider' ticket - ideal for exploring the area - allowing you unlimited hop-on / hop-off access to any any Stagecoach bus in Thanet all day long.
The Loop connects Margate, Broadstairs, and Ramsgate in a continuous cycle, up to every 7 minutes, and operates 7 days a week, from early morning until late evening. The number 8 Bus provides excellent links between Thanet and nearby Canterbury. Other Stagecoach buses provide easy access to the villages.
Concessionary bus passes are also valid on all services. Restrictions may apply. Please contact Stagecoach for more details.
Tel: 03456 002299
The Stagecoach Bus App with a journey planner, live bus times and paperless tickets, is available free on the App Store (iPhone) and Google Play (Android). Click the buttons below to download, or search Stagecoach Bus on the App Store or Google Play store
On Foot/By Bicycle
Each of the three towns can be explored easily on foot, and are connected along the coast by the Viking Coastal Trail, a 32-mile route which is shared by walkers and cyclists. The route can be easily divided into smaller sections, or combined with other similar trails around the Kent coast.
Two thirds of the route is off-road, so ideal for family walks or rides, and the route is also signed throughout for convenience. Free Visitor Maps, which show the Trail as well as the three town plans, are available from the Thanet Visitor Information Centre in Margate.
Cycle Hire -
- Harbour Bikes Cycle Hire - Arch 20, Military Road, Ramsgate 01843 585060 www.harbourbikes.co.uk
- Margate Bike and Hire - 87a Canterbury Road, Margate 07756 041452 www.margatebikesandhire.co.uk
- Ride The Bike Shed - 71 Canterbury Road, Margate 01843 228866 www.thebikeshedkent.co.uk
- VCT Bike Hire - The Parade, Minnis Bay 01843 843309/07818 828862
- Wheelability - Fully accessible bikes for disabled and non-disabled people. Minnis Bay Car Park, The Parade, Minnis Bay, CT7 9QP 0333 366 0834 http://yourleisure.uk.com/wheelability/
Central Cars: 01843 888888 www.centralcarsthanet.co.uk
Thanet Cars: 01843 333333 / 292929 / 595959
United Cars: 01843 581581
Please see this link to Thanet District Council's parking page for information about where to park
Please note Blue Badge holders are required to register in advance at the Thanet Gateway to park in Trinity Square Car Park, Margate www.thanet.gov.uk/services/ticketless-parking/
FREE CAR PARKING is available at the following car parks every Saturday: Mill Lane - Margate, Harold Road - Cliftonville, St Peter's Park Road - Broadstairs and Cannon Road- Ramsgate
Electric Car Charging Points
- Birchington - Albion Road Car Park - 1 bay
- Margate - Mill Lane Car Park, CT9 1LB - 2 bays
- Margate - Turner Car Park, Rendezvous, 2 bays
- Broadstairs - Westwood Cross Shopping Centre, CT10 2BF - 5 bays (2 multi-charge, 1 Tesla and 2 Podpoint which require an app)
- Broadstairs - Sainsbury's Car Park, CT12 5FJ - 6 bays
- Ramsgate - Leopold Street Car Park, CT11 9EF - 2 bays
Pierremonts: Ramsgate Train Station, Station Approach Road, Ramsgate, 01843 581122
Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 144-146 Westwood Road, Broadstairs, CT10 2NR. 01843 605151