Did you know this tea-related ritual was introduced in the early 1840s to Britain and evolved as a mini meal to warn of hunger?
The thought of an afternoon tea conjures up the simple pleasure of a bygone era, fine bone china, cucumber sandwiches and victoria sponge. They are now back in fashion offering that little bit of decadence for today's discerning guests, but in a lot of instances delightfully affordable.
From the sandwiches cut into fingers, the mini cakes and scones - is it jam or cream first? All washed down with tea or bubbles, what’s not to love about an afternoon tea.
Will it be a seafront hotel, or a cosy cafe that you pick, for your next treat? Did you know there is even a week celebrating Afternoon Tea? It ran 10th - 16th August 2020 #AfternoonTeaWeek
- Felicity's Cafe at Quex, Birchington
- Strawberry Fields Coffee House, Birchington
- Fredericks Tea Room, Westgate-on-Sea
- Mad Hatter Tea Room, Margate
- The Bay Restaurant at Sands Hotel, Margate
- Walpole Bay Hotel, Margate
- The Ambrette, Margate - takeaway option
- Seaside Kitchen and Cake Parlour, Margate - try a Vegan tea
- Bessie’s Tea Parlour, Broadstairs - try an alternative Beforenoon Tea’
- The Bay Tree, Broadstairs
- The Yarrow Hotel, Broadstairs
- Townley's at Albion House, Ramsgate
- The Home Front Tea Room, Ramsgate