Tudor House Margate
The oldest building in old Meergate, built in 1525, the Tudor House was originally a yeoman farmer's house. It is a unique example of a ‘transitional house’ – bridging the gap between medieval open-hall and early-modern houses with two storeys throughout. The building was clearly of high status with distinctly ‘showy’ features. Many of these were advanced for its time, including glazed windows and two chimneys in an age when one would have been noteworthy.
Over the years, the building has been home to Master Mariners, Flemish weavers, Cordwainers, and farmers. A 1776 map shows a sizable farmyard surrounding the dwelling, including a malthouse which still exists to the rear. In the 18th Century, a maltings was built at the rear to make Barley Beer. Between the late 17th and 19th centuries, much of the land belonging to the house was sold off, and the building itself had been subdivided into 3 cottages by 1867.
The remaining site was purchased by the council in the late 1930s as part of a slum clearance scheme, and it was due for demolition before a local builder spotted the Tudor beams and alerted the Mayor, Alderman Cllr Claude Hosking. He funded the restoration, which was completed in 1951, using mostly Tudor construction methods and materials. The House was Grade 2* listed in the same year.
The Gardens have been lovingly restored with a Tudor Knot garden and box hedge squares with climbing plants on frames.
Guided Tours are offered to visitors.
The House is a Grade 2* Listed Building and cannot be adapted for accessibility.
There is an accessible ground floor entrance, and wheelchair access to the ground floor of the building. Volunteers are available to provide assistance. The first floor is only accessible via a narrow spiral staircase. Rest chairs provided.
The nearest accessible parking and toilets are at College Square (CT9 1PR), approximately 200 metres from the House.
Assistance dogs welcome.
*Reopening from Saturday 31st July for weekends 11am to 3pm*
Open weekends and Bank Holidays all year.
11am-3pm, last admission 2pm.
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Registered Assistance Dogs welcome
Children: Under 16s Free (accompanied by adult)
Joint Ticket with Margate Museum: £3, Concession £2.50