Go on a journey of discovery with a series of digital interpretation plaques across Margate, Broadstairs and Ramsgate. Learn about some of Thanet’s unique stories, rich heritage and secrets at key locations around the Thanet coast.
Go on a journey of discovery with a new series of digital interpretation plaques across the area. Learn about some of Thanet’s unique stories, rich heritage and secrets at key locations around the Thanet coast.
Look out for the eye-catching plaques that tease you with information before entering a code to learn more about about that location. Learn more about the person or location with films, audio and images before discovering more locations associated with that plaque
The Digital Interpretation Plaques have been developed as part of the Coastal Community Funded ‘Discover Thanet Coast’s Project. Thank you to town councils, groups and societies that have helped with the project including providing valuable stories, photographs etc
1. St Mildred’s Bay - Telling the story of the Royal Air Service Station and development of Manston Airfield
2. Nayland Rock Shelter - Telling the story of TS Eliot writing part of ‘The Waste Land’ here
3. Turner's Margate - The story of Turner and his love of Margate
4. Margate Lido - Explore sea bathing and the grandeur of the former Lido site
5. Joss Bay -Smuggling tales, including that of Joss Snelling
6. Dickens' Broadstairs - Dickens’ connection to his favourite holiday destination
7. Italianate Glasshouse - Explore the story behind the Greenhouse, why it’s there and the fabulous blooming agave
8. Pugin's Grange - To signify Pugin’s importance to Ramsgate,plus explore the importance of Pegwell Bay's nature designations, history and geology
9. Viking Ship 'Hugin' - Communicating the story of the ship
10. Minster Abbey - The story of the Abbey