The Italianate Glasshouse, a Grade II* Listed historic monument, was erected in the grounds of East Cliff Lodge, Sir Moses Montefiore's 22 acre estate in 1832. Sir Moses, a British financier and former Sheriff of London, bought the magnificent structure from another impressive house, Bretton Hall in Yorkshire after seeing it in an auction catalogue.
The grounds of the house, now known as King George VI Memorial Park, were eventually taken over by Ramsgate Borough Council and the house was demolished in 1953.
Sadly neglected in the past, the Glasshouse was restored in 2005.
Summer time, weather dependent. Please refer to website for dates. Dogs on leads welcome
Learn more about the history of the glasshouse with our digital discoveries located around the park
Access is via King George VI Memorial Park, via a level footpath and across grass; there are some slopes and uneven ground towards the entrance of Glasshouse.
The Glasshouse interior is not wheelchair-accessible, but the surrounding gardens and café area are. Assistance Dogs allowed.
The nearest public accessible (RADAR) toilets are in King George VI Memorial Park, along the cliff-side.
The nearest parking is along the roads adjacent to the park- Dumpton Park Drive, Montefiore Avenue, Avebury Avenue and Wickham Avenue.
Summer time weekend opening is weather dependent. Please refer to website for dates. Dogs on leads welcome